Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Velveteen Bible


This Bible was given to me through a site called BookSneeze.  I review the books, and then I get to keep them.

The Velveteen Bible is NKJV.  I found it interesting that by the picuture I would have thought it was a story book/bible.  I understand it says Holy Bible right on it, but it seemed younger than the actual Bible.  I pulled it out of the package and it was in this box(that you see above).  Inside of the box is a "velveteen Bible."  It's cute.  It's got the bunny in velvet along with some velvet accents.  My 4 year old son enjoyed feeling the "velvet Bible" :)

We began by openning it up and looking at some of the pictures.  They had verses and pictures of animals.  I think my son may have gotten the wrong impression by seeing a picture of 3 ducks waddling when I read to him, "whatever you have done to the least of these, you have done unto me."  I think he was thinking about doing things to ducks.  But, what can I say?  He's 4.

I asked him if he wanted to read about that story, and sure enough, he did.  So, I flipped to Matthew 25 and read it to him:


Matthew 25:31-46 (New King James Version)


The Son of Man Will Judge the Nations
 
31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy[a] angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You,or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’
41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’
44 “Then they also will answer Him,[b] saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

I think I would have been a bit confused too, but he rolled with the punches (so to speak), and heard the story.  It was a good teaching moment anyway.

If I were looking for a son for my son I would not buy the "Velveteen Bible," but I don't think that's what the producers had in mind anyway.  This would be a great Bible for an elementary aged girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment